Humility...Patience...Compassion

Sunday, June 8, 2008

The past weeks have been filled with so many life changing events. It seems that even at my 'old' age, there are so many lessons to learn or re-learn. Since the surgery, I have been learning the three lessons of -- humility, patience, and compassion.

Target is a great place -- when you have TWO FUNCTIONING LEGS. Otherwise, you get to pull a Grandpa VH and drive the electric buggy. Oh yeah... I am no Jeff Gordon, but I did alright. It seems that when a person is in that buggy, people are highly intrigued by the "SICK PERSON IN THE BUGGY"!! Children stare, point and laugh. Parents tell their children in a loud whisper, "don't stare"!!! TOO LATE MOM!!! Adults try to pull out in front of you and rush past as though they have some sort of death wish because the darn cart has NO BRACES. Oh yeah...getting pointed and stared at has made me learn humility.

How does one carry things while on crutches? Clearly that question is something I have been working to solve. My scientist brain has figured out the simple things...use your pocket for some stuff. But big or heavy things...not as easy. I walked around with the telephone and a cold bottled water in my wasteband...right up to the point where the water slipped down into my pants, freezing my leg and making me need to 'rush to the bathroom'...see trying to pee is another event in the GIMP OLYMPICS!!! My brain certainly knows what I want to do...my body is still working on getting it done. Patience is the time between the brain and the body...

Compassion seems to be a limited commodity. Remember the stares and the bolting out in front of the buggy driving invalid? Yes, people are typically pretty jerky. Honestly, they don't really care if you look like you are struggling or stuck or just plain tired. Nope...people just don't have the level of compassion for others that we used to have in the past. I can say that my rushed life with its frequent lack of compassion for strangers needs to change. People are not invisible, especially those in need. A small gesture of caring certainly goes a long way. I learned that from an elderly gentleman who helped me with the buggy in Target...when the battery died and Carrie was getting one thing while I got another. OH YEAH... stranded. Did I mention that she was carrying the crutches too??? Nice... well the older gentleman at least stopped and asked if I needed help. Got a Target employee or no sorry TWO different employees because the first one 'did not work with the buggies'!!! Yes, I will not look at people the same anymore. The invisible are becoming visible and my Mid-western compassion will return!!!

0 Comments:

Always in our hearts.

Always in our hearts.
Carli Anne VanHeest (Nov 2000 - 19 May 2008)