News and GREAT News!!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I need to give the good news first...Carli took a WALK today. She is still having some troubles with her back legs - high stepping or prancing, but she walked. The vet called and was SO excited about it. She said that she went into the room this AM, took the doors off Carli's cage and called, "Carli come here girl"... Then, out she walked - tail waggin and excited to be "free"!! They took her outside and walked some more where she did a better job of walking. They are keeping her for one more night to keep her on the meds, then probably home TOMORROW in the late morning. This has been an answer to prayer thus far. I cannot thank you all enough for the wonderful thoughts and prayers for all of us.
So, that is the GREAT News... Now for the "News".

I had my appointment today with the orthopedic surgeon. He is a 'nice guy' as surgeons go. He checked out my knee and kept asking if I was sure that I did not 'feel it when I tore my ACL'. I know that I am a bit of a stubborn and often not to bright Dutchman...but nope... I did not remember it happening. He was amazed, as this process is horribly painful. Having said all of that, I will have ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair/removal on the 3rd of June. This was his FIRST available appointment. Not what I had hoped in terms of the date, but that is just how it goes. This surgery is a pretty major deal, but it is an out-patient procedure now. I will be on crutches and with a brace initially. Crutches will last 4-5 weeks (depending on things) with physical therapy happening along the way. Again, it is about 9-12 months to full recovery depending on the exact surgical approach.

Again, I thank my dear family and friends for all the prayers. It has been a rugged few days and only through your love and support (especially all the prayers), have I been able to stay strong. I will keep you posted as things move forward. Wishing you all a very special day!

0 Comments:

Always in our hearts.

Always in our hearts.
Carli Anne VanHeest (Nov 2000 - 19 May 2008)